An extraordinary illustration (1916) by Frank C. Papé (1878-1972) from The Russian Story Book [author, Richard Wilson]
A book that might be classified under the fairy tale/folklore heading. I won’t try and guess exactly what is going on – but those birds look hungry.
Some of the books that had a heavy contribution from Frank Papé.
- The Gateway to Spenser – Stories from the Faërie Queen (1910);
- The Pilgrim’s Progress (1910);
- The Golden Fairy Book (1911);
- The Ruby Fairy Book (1911);
- The Diamond Fairy Book (1911);
- Sigurd and Gudrun (1912);
- Siegfried and Kriemhild (1912);
- The Book of Psalms (1912);
- As It Is In Heaven (1912);
- The Story Without an End (1913);
- Robin Hood and Other Stories of Yorkshire (1915); and
- The Russian Story Book (1916).